About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Sunday, November 04, 2007

A Mother's Love


This is a quilt I made for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. You can see the auction of these quilts here..
www.amisimms.com
There is a new auction the beginning of every month. This was really fun to do. Here is my artists statement.
I used mainly cottons and did a raw edge (Lesley Riley technique) applique. I just layered the fabrics and stitched them down. I printed the photo onto fabric paper and fused it down. I stamped the words onto fabric paper and fused it down. I added the fibers, flower and heart buttons. And used a pillow case turn for the binding. I have a dear friend who's mother has alzheimers. She lives in D.C. and her mom lives in Wisconsin. She spends a lot of time traveling back and forth. Her mother is so wonderful. It is hard for me to see how she has become so unaware of her surroundings. It is really sad. I had gotten the I Remember Mama book when it first came out. I showed my girlfriend the quilt called Rosemarie - now and then by Pat Moormann Kumicich and we both broke down in tears. What an amazing quilt. I wanted to do this quilt for my girlfriend and her mom. The photo represents my friend and her mom years ago. Moms are so special. I used the photo along with vintage looking cotton fabrics. Her mom loved flowers so I wanted to add a flower. And the hearts on the fiber represent all the heart strings that are being tugged when you go through something as devastating as having a loved one with Alzheimers

2 comments:

Nikki said...

A wonderful tribute to your friend and her mom. I love the personal touch of the flower and heart buttons. Alzheimer's is such a terrible way to loose a person.

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Laura-this is so beautiful and your comments touched my heart. My mother has this terrible disease. It is so very hard to watch a loved one be stricken by this disease.

hugs, chris