About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 01, 2007

My Journal Quilt is in Houston



My Journal quilt came to me one Saturday morning.. I have always wanted to make a quilt depicting the way I feel about having houses being built where the Blue Herons nest. The area surrounding the Herons nesting trees was never to be developed. Well, now it is developed. There are only a few houses in the area but, I am sure there are more to come. And their back yards are the dead trees with the Herons nests in them. I am surprised that the Herons still come back to their nests to raise there young.

I started with the backround. Simply the sky, the marsh, and the river that runs through it. I found some photos of houses and placed them on the quilt. Then I cut out a tree and started adding bits and pieces to depict the marsh and the neatly groomed yards where the houses were. As this quilt came together I decided I wanted to use the actual houses in the quilt. So I took my camera and photographed a few of them. Then I printed them, along with some Blue Herons onto fabric sheets. Once I got the background done and sewed down I fused on the houses and Herons.
I was having some fun putting different colors of Angelina Fibers under the river to make it look like it was shallow and deep and just for some color.
Then I started to do some thread painting… I haven’t had much experience with thread painting but, I caught on quickly… and it was fun.

11 comments:

Dot said...

Laura - this is stunning! I love all the details and the meaning behind the quilt.

Beautiful, beautiful detailed work. And the colors are gorgeous.

You are very talented.

Patti G. said...

Laura,
This is soooooooooo fantastic, I know I said this before, but it is moving and beautiful beyond words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And your flower panels below too.........WOW!
Hugs,Patti

Elizabeth said...

Laura! What a beautiful quilt- details and colors are amazing. The topic really makes me angry. Is that Pink monstrosity for real??? What are people thinking??
But back to the quilt- you should be very proud- stunning work and I wish taht I could see it in person and touch it!!
hugs!
Elizabeth

Christine Thresh said...

A striking quilt. Such a shame that the habitat is being destroyed. But, thoseo herons are very brave.

zquilts said...

It's a beautiful piece ! I think you perfectly captured the sentiment - I can't imagine what you would accomplish if you had lots of time ! Congratulations

Nikki said...

Amazing detail! I would love to see it close up.

solje said...

I love it!! so far, this one is my favorite that I have viewed.

We have Blue Herons here, I love seeing them fly. When we go for our evening walks during the summer and catch one, I always tease my son that a Pterodactyl just flew by :-)

Carole said...

What a beautiful piece Laura! I am amazed at your architecture. Those houses look my neighborhood!!
And the herons, you have really captured them in their habits.
Well done.
Carole

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Laura-absolutely wonderful quilt! Beautiful and inspirational, too!
hugs, chris p

Sue Andrus said...

Beautiful quilt, I love the sky fabric. Great details.
Sue A

Cheryl said...

This is my favorite piece of yours ever. Your passion really shows through!