About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Friday, November 23, 2007

Rusting Fabric..






I attended the Mancuso quilt show and came home with a piece of rusted fabric. I was intrigued with it. It happened that that same weekend my husband and I went to an auction. He ended up buying a barn and all the contents in it were rusted.. So I gathered up a bunch of pieces to try my hand at rusting fabric. I found some info on a website and began. First I mixed 50/50 ratio of white vinegar and water.. I soaked the fabric with it.. Then I placed the rusted pieces on and around the fabric. THe first batch I made turned out just ok.. See the third photo... I had some solution left so I grabbed some fabrics that were light in color but, had some images on them.. I soaked these fabric longer and turned them around in the container for about a week.. The first ones I only had in for a few days. So these are the fabrics I ended up with...after you are finished rusting the fabric you have to put it in a solution of salt and water.. 50/50... for about 15 minutes.. Then throw them in the washer with a mild soap..I used shampoo...This was really fun and I can't wait to get back to the barn to collect some more rusted cans...

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a great thing to learn how to do...this kind of dyed fabric was pretty expensive to buy. I know you'll save some for me, chuckle, chuckle

Janine said...

Love it Laura.... something else I need to put on my list of *things to do* when I get sorted!

Patti G. said...

These are gorgeous Laura and the earthy feel and colors are aaaaaaaawesome!!!!!!!!! You go girl!
Hugs,Patti

Susan said...

Oh, a friend and I were just talking about this today, only doing it in a solution of ammonia! Interesting! I like the final pieces you made.

Marilyn Rock said...

WOW Laura! This is awesome! I saw that recipe in Cloth Paper Scissors. You are amazing! What a really earthy feel to these - I love them!

alice said...

Hi Laura! You bought the rusted fabric in Chicago from me (DellaJane Hand Dyes). It is so cool that you were inspired to do some yourself! Great results! alice