About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Unknown Spirit ( Stay at home challenge quiltart list)


This challenge is run by Diane P. from the quiltart list for those of us who weren't able to attend the HOUSTON show.. The quilts are auctioned off every month ... go here to see this months quilts... http://www.alzquilts.org/
So this is my story....
I was sitting in the waiting area of a mental health facility right before this
challenge. A man and his mother came in. She was there ( I found out later) to check how her
Alzheimer's was changing her. She had asked her son very timidly," how old am I ? " He
replied," 80 years old." She continued in disbelief on how the time has gone by so quickly. After
she took a very short walk down memory lane she asked again," how old am I?"... her son
replied," 80."The women was so sweet and it just seemed so sad to me. I'm naming my quilt THE
UNKNOWN SPIRIT... for these unknown people who are dealing with this disease we
call Alzheimers.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love your inspiration for this piece. It reflects your story well.

Marilyn Rock said...

This is wonderful Laura!

Beth said...

Great story Laura, so sad and yet what a patient loving son to keep telling her the same thing over and over without getting upset.

I love your piece and it really speaks to the spirit.

laura west kong said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt and story. ^_^

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Laura - Thanks for sharing the story as well as your fine work. I know I speak for many when I also say thank you for donating your work to the Alzheimer's Association. Once this disease has begun to claim the mind of someone you love you become very aware of its prevalence and the immense need for research and treatment - maybe someday we can even hope for prevention.

Anonymous said...

Laura, this is a beautiful reflection of the woman in the story. Thank your for sharing your work.