About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 10, 2010

SNOW DAY (DYE)



We had a great snowstorm here on Thurs and Friday.. which gave me an opportunity to try my hand at snow dyeing.  I had a old tye dye kit here that I thought I would use.  Nancy and Mary Ellen who are in Milwaukee Art quilters with me showed off their snow dyed fabrics at the last meeting and they were to DYE for... I am happy with my first results.. I had yellow, blue and red dye.  Since doing these I have ordered more dyes and am hoping for another snow storm ( not really... we have enough snow.. ) THis is a very cool technique and easy... You can get prepared for dyeing fabric or prepare it yourself.. I used muslin and a muslin that had little stars on it.  I soaked it in soda ash.  Squeezed out the excess liquid and put it in a plastic tub and placed it outside..THe fabric froze quite quickly.. I scooped snow over the fabric.  Squirted the dyes over the top of the snow and then brought the tub in the house.. THe snow melt.  I left it overnight and rinsed it till the water was clear.  Used synthropol in the washing machine and washed and dried the fabric... and this is what I got... and I love them.. can't wait to use some colors that I really love.... !!!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Love them!! The one with the stars will be fun to use. Good job for your first try!

Elizabeth said...

lo!!! These are fabulous!!!I love the one with the stars on it!!
I need to try this again with real dyes!!!
Thanks for showing us!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Diane said...

Great idea to use the white on white with the stars! Fun stuff!

Patti G. said...

These are gggggggreat Laura! You never stop amazing me!
Love your header now too! WHAT a great picture of you and your quilt! <3
Hugs,Patti
You know what day it is right? Waaaaaaaaa!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

The results are wonderful. I really like the one with the 'little stars' on it. The last one is like a sunburst.
Such fun.

Gloria said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing these pieces.