About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Monday, March 22, 2010

Another Hero and Friend

I'm sure by now most of you know what Quilts of Valor are... I have posted about them a few times.  Last Thursday at Oconomowoc quilt guild I was given a QOV to give to one of my soldiers.  We write down the information and get the quilts for them as they become available.  My friend Jim's dad was in World War II.  Mr. Edward Mies.  He is also a member at my church.  He and his wife are the most caring people in the world.  I was very happy to present Mr. Mies with a QOV yesterday at his home.  It was very emotional for all of us. 
I have to tell you how I came about to know that Mr. Mies was a Vet.  We were making up food packs for Feed My Starving Children at church one day.  Mr. Mies and I sat at a table and put labels on the packages.  He started to talk about his time in the War.  I moved me so much to listen to his stories.  He is a true Hero.  And just about that time our quilt guild started to make QOV,  or maybe they were making them before that time... it was just that I was a fairly new member.  I knew I had to put Mr. Mies name in to receive a quilt.  So yesterday was the day.  He was so happy.. he said he didn't deserve it and that there were many other soldiers who should get a quilt before him.  I said nonsense... he is a very humble person.  I visited with them for about an hour.. He showed me on a map where he was stationed.  We looked at photos and he told me all about his time in the War.  It was very moving to me... I hated to say good bye but, lucky for me they live very close and I promised I would come back and chat again... I think it is going to be another chapter for Tuesdays with Morrie... at least I hope so...

7 comments:

Patti G. said...

VERY touching and sweet Laura! HE and his wife are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!
Just the fact that he does not think he is deserving of a quilt of valore......tells me HIS IS!!!
Awwwwwwww! Wonderful, for both him and you!
Hugs,Patti

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Oh, I love this story! What a wonderful family-and now you are part of them!!
hugs, chris

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful way to recognize a soldier from the "Greatest Generation". It brings a tear to my eye!

Elaine A said...

Laura...thanks for sharing your story and pictures. Very touching.
The quilt is just beautiful, and I am sure it will be well loved.

Marilyn Rock said...

Laura; I always say Art with a Cause! You are amazing my friend. This is a love story and you have brought happiness into Mr. Mies' life just by listening to him, let alone with your beautiful quilt! I loved reading this!

Much love - Marilyn xxoo

Sophie said...

Laura, thanks for leaving your blog site for us at the American Quilter's Society to read, it's a great blog. Check our facebook page on Friday to find out the winner of the Blog-of-the-Week!

What an amazing story! This is wonderful. You do beautiful work; keep it up!

www.americanquilter.com

Marti said...

Until recently, I visited an elderly lady on Tuesdays so her son could have some time off. Marie died two weeks ago and at the funeral, her son told me they called my time with her, "Tuesdays with Marti".