About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I WON!! Second place!!!

 
This quilt was made for the Ben Franklin Challenge. Above you can see the fabrics that we had to work with. I have always wanted to make a quilt of giraffes. So I thought this would be a perfect opportunity given the fabrics I had to work with.  While I was working on this quilt there was a giraffe having a calf in a zoo near Green Bay, WI.  Her name is Zuri. The calf was born weak and died 36 hours after birth. In tribute to that strong mother giraffe I named this quilt Zuri.  It is sad to think of what happened to this beautiful giraffe but, we have to remember that God has a plan for us and for all animals. 
These fabrics are all cotton.  All the fabrics are fused down. A layer of tulle was placed over the entire quilt.  The quilt was layered and free motion quilting was done throughout using cotton and polyester threads.  
The show starts on Friday and runs through Sunday.  I'm soooo excited.. here is a photo of the fabrics I had to use and my finished quilt.  





8 comments:

Eileen said...

Congratulations! Beautiful work!

Jackie said...

that is gorgeous, i have always wanted to do giraffes.

love it.

Judith said...

Well done! Your work is so beautful, it is very well deserved.

Marilyn Rock said...

I KNEW IT!!! Congratulations Laura! That is awesome; well-deserving. This is definitely one of my favorites that you've done! When is the DVD coming out? :) xxoo

Patti G. said...

Like Marilyn, I KNEW IT TOOOooooooooooo and I had no doubt!
Congrats Sister girl!!!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxo
Hugs,Patti

acarolegrant said...

Congratulations Laura!! What a beautiful piece! You go girl!!

Shawna said...

WEll done. Congrats on your second place. You really used the fabric very well.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations !! Giraffs is one of my grand daughters favorite!
I love the fabric you used for this. .