About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Milwaukee Art Quilters Challenge "Estranged Love"

Months ago a challenge was proposed.  We each put a common object in a brown paper bag and put them in the middle of the room.. Then each of us picked a bag.  Whatever was in the bag was to be used to create a quilt.  It didn't have to be on the quilt.. And the quilt had to be mixed media.  I received a Lotus Pod.  I just loved it.. There were many different things like cotton balls, sequenced flowers, pen and paper, votive candle just to name a few.  I was in home group one night and sketched out my design.  Blocks, and rectangles.. and I knew I wanted to put a lotus flower somewhere in the middle.. Well, the Lotus Flower turned into a Lotus pod.. Three of them.  I bought a few more at the store and my husband cut them for me.. I used the original one to stamp paint on the fabrics. And I used the ends of the cut ones to stamp too.  I put in silk taffeta, dyed silk, cotton and made stems out of raffia, printed words on Lutradur and my snow dyed fabrics along with Wendy Richardson's  over dyes.. This was a fun quilt to make.. There is no piecing in this quilt it is done by using Wendy Butler Berns technique of using freezer paper templates.  I love her technique...!!  All of the quilts that the girls made were pretty incredible.  Amazing how you can take and object and use it for inspiration for a quilt.

4 comments:

Patti G. said...

This is really beautiful Laura! You are better than anyone I know, about taking objects and creating something wonderful around them....or with them! FAnTAstIC!

Hugs,Patti

Nina-Marie said...

wow! Laura - really great! You never know quite where inspiration is going to be found huh?!

Marilyn Rock said...

Laura; this is gorgeous. Keep soaring my friend! I'm with ya!

Pattio said...

Wow Laura,

You have really taken off with quilting. You have grown so much and your artistic flair is shining.

I love the lotus quilt and how you used the materials.

The Giraffe one is so touching. The unknown spirit is very moving as well. I think my favourite is the Triple Trillium quilt.

Your Amazing!
Hugs