About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Great Rummage Sale Finds...









Last week Tues. I was checking Craigslist for good things at rummage sales...you know ones mans trash is another mans treasure.. Most of the rummages start on Thurs and run through Sat.  But, there was this one rummage that was only on Sat.  And it said QUILTS.  Ok.. no big deal.. Bedding..you know what many people think are quilts are just blankets or the quilts you buy at the big box stores.. Soooo I waiting and waited for Saturday to come.. Thinking I would not get up in time because it is my day to sleep in... Well, actually almost all of last week were my days to sleep in.. Oh boy did I sleep in ... till 7am.. Back to the story.  I got up at 6:30.. had some coffee.. My husband was going out to look at a possible barn job so I decided to go with him... And we decided to stop at the rummage sale with the QUILTS... I browsed through the garage and then my eyes gazed on them... Bright Yellow, Pink and White with beautiful little colors.. My hands started to shake..I grabbed Mike and said.. check it out.. I asked the lady if she had any history on them.. there were 3... she said they were up in her grandmothers attic.. The woman was about 65... I took each one out of the plastic bag ( which I'm sure was not good for them to be in) and opened them up...One by one.. falling in love with all of them I decided I had to have them... She was asking $50 each...at that I thought it was a steal but,  I'm a wheeler and dealer and offered her less for all three.. and she agreed.. I paid her the money and shook with excitement all the way to the car.  I wanted to share them with you.. They are in very good shape and the Grandmother's Flower Garden is soooo pretty... They are all hand pieced and quilted.  The two Dresden plates have beard protectors on them.. The yellow one is 82x164.  The pink one is 82x48. The grandmothers flower garden is 61x40.
Now I am going to dream about the people who stayed warm with these quilts many years ago.. Amazing to think that they have held up this long... I'm thinking they are from the thirties.. 

5 comments:

Karen said...

What a wonderful deal!!! I love your beautiful quilts.

Helen Bazinet said...

You have one great find. I have made 10 dresden plates that I made over 44 years ago. After I had my 5th child of course I had my hands full. I am back to quilting but never did continue the plates. I may applique them onto fabric to make a wall hanging or not! Enjoy your find.

Rayna said...

Love 'em. I have quite a few vintage quilts. If they are dirty, you can put them in the washing machine with baking soda and detergent with no additives or perfumes. DO NOT AGITATE! (this is critical! It weakens the fibers). Just leave them to soak, then drain the water, rinse without agitating again, and spin dry. You can put them in the dryer on gentle.

Deb said...

You got gorgeous quilts...and good job wheeling and dealing!! They were worth not sleeping in. I had never thought of checking Craigslist for rummage sales...I will have to start doing that!

Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

Judith Taylor Inge said...

Just this morning I met a friend with some chairs in her car wrapped in strips of a '30s flower garden quilt. Not a repro, the real deal and it had been cut recently with scissors. She got it from her mother in law who doesn't mind the price she pays for antique quilts then cuts them up to make jackets and things out of them. I almost couldn't breathe because the colors were strong and the handwork fine and neat. Travesty.