About Me

My photo
I was 53 in June. I feel like I'm 30. I live in Cold Cold Wisconsin. But, I love it here.. I found fabric and quilting about 8 years ago.. I fell in love with it.. I also enjoy paper art.. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity before I started doing art. I found rubber stamps about 10 years ago and have gone on to anything and everything.. I have been blessed with creative talents and love to express myself in art. I have 2 children .. one girl who is 15 and a boy who is 17. My husband and I love to hunt,canoe and just enjoy the outdoors together.. We all love the outdoors and go up to northern Wisconsin as often as possible. I'm a 14 year breast cancer survivor.. you can view more of my art at http://laurakrasinskiquilts.blogspot.com www.picturetrail.com/barngirl or my teaching, lecture and vending schedule here http://laurakrasinskisartontherun.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Vacation...and Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative


Vacation....

I just got home to Menomonee Falls from our vacation in Upper Michigan.  We stopped off up north for a couple days.  I had stopped at a few quilt shops..picked up 3 fabrics.. 2 of which were fat quarters.. I just figure I need to be a bit more frugal when it comes to buying fabric.. I need to use what I have.  At the last quilt shop i picked up 3 small spools of variegated thread.  Sooo.. I had my sewing machine, these fabrics some old wonder under and a terrible scissors.  I have a cutting mat and ruler but, no rotary cutter up north.  I decided to try and whip up a quilt for AAQI.... so I put the wonder under on the fabric with the huge flowers.  When I tried to take it off it didn't come off.. so I had to soak it in water.. then the paper came off.. and the fusible actually stayed on the fabric.  I fused the fabric flower to the yellow and black fabric.  I happen to have some batting up north too.. so I made a sandwich and started to thread paint the inside of the flower... and quilt the rest of the piece.  Since I have my old machine up north my quilting is not really up to par.    I want to add some bling to it.. or at least some beads.. this is it without the binding sewn on yet.  It was an interesting project...

And speaking of the Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiative...the traveling show Heartbreak to Hope will be coming to Quilt Expo in Madison the second week of Sept.  I have a quilt called THe Unknown Spirit traveling in the exhibit.  And AAQI are in need of more quilts... to take to Houston.. so please if you can help them out and make a quilt or two.. they only take a few hours... 8"x10".... for more info please go here.. http://www.alzquilts.org/

6 comments:

Chris Daly said...

Hope to see you and your quilt in Madison

Cheryl said...

Great job!

Elizabeth said...

Now that is quilting under adverse conditions!! Brilliant you !! When there is a will there is a way!! You came across some of the nasty wonder under!! God that stuff was awful- good for you for beating it though!!! Love both of these fabrics!!! the poppies are stunning- Now I HAVE to look for that one SIGH!!!
Big Hugs!!!!

Ellen Anne Eddy said...

Life is what happens when you're making plans! It's a great quilt in spite of it all.

Beth said...

Laura, I'm waiting for your registration to come through . . . get this one finished! It looks wonderful! Get it registered before Quilt Expo and you can hand it to Diane and skip the postage fees. I took over registrations in January, so I'll be watching for it . . .

A Lady's Life said...

this is quite nice:)